The group

The group

The outside of the shopping center by our bungalow

The outside of the shopping center by our bungalow

The sand dunes

The sand dunes

The Bungalows

The Bungalows

San Sebastian

San Sebastian

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Las Fallas, Valencia

We only went to Las Fallas for the day on Friday and it was out of control. We left Madrid at 9am and had to be back on the bus at 2:30am on Saturday. Las Fallas is a celebration for San Jose who is a saint in Spain i guess, but for me it was a celebration with fireworks and fire. Artists spend a year constructing these huge statues called "fallas" and only one of the statues wins... the others get burnt to the ground. Some of them are as tall as a 6 story buildings. They are all made out of foam, paper, and wood and the detail of the fallas is crazy. I was able to buy fireworks to throw around the street so i was stoked. I was like a little kid in a candy store. My friends that i was with didnt like me playing with the fireworks to much, so at one point I kinda split ways from them so I could play with my fireworks. We watched the 3rd place winner of the contest get burnt to the ground and before lighting it on fire they had a firework show for it and then within a matter of minutes the whole thing was up in flames. Firemen were hosing the thing down to control the flames and everyone was getting ashes rained all over them. We had to run back to the bus to make it so we didnt get left in Valencia, but it was worth it. Las Fallas was awesome!

1 comment:

  1. Special K from Aptos requests more pix! Love to read about your fabulous adventure. I know you are enjoying every minute. As an armchair adventurer I need more visual.
    Big Hugs!K

    ReplyDelete